Job Description - The Role
This permanent position of Electronic Design Engineer has arisen as part of a planned expansion of the business to support increasing demand for the company’s professional services from a continually broadening customer base.
Primarily this position is responsible for designing hardware (and, ideally, some software) for electronic products used in diverse applications and various market sectors. The role involves some customer and supplier contact and an ability to communicate effectively is important.
This position is ideal for someone who is keen to develop their technical skills further; take on some of the day-to-day role of managing their own time and the often demanding workload; and play a part in the continued development and expansion of the company.
The ideal candidate will have a sound understanding of electronic hardware and embedded software principles backed up by good experience; show flair and independent thinking; and the ability to contribute immediate value to the company and its development.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Design of reliable, cost-effective electronic hardware systems (analogue and digital) from concept through to volume production.
- Detailed component research, evaluation and selection.
- Schematic drawing creation.
- Design of proof of concept demonstrators, through use of evaluation kits and custom design, for both client and R&D projects.
- Debug, commission and test board level designs in conjunction with associated embedded firmware driver development.
- Create technical documentation and manuals.
- Assist with standards approvals documentation and testing, e.g. for EMC.
- Assist team members in the day to day management and workflow of projects and individual designs.
- Contribute to and support the design and implementation of reliableand efficient embedded software/firmware solutions for client or internal R&D projects.
- A good degree or HND in Electronics or closely-related discipline from a well-regarded educational institution.
Technical Skills & Experience
- Experience in Electronic Product Design within at least one commercial market sector.
- Design experience across a range of electronic technologies, including analogue and digital design.
- Experience of commissioning and debugging hardware and software on newly-developed embedded platforms, with a demonstrable record of analytical fault identification and rectification.
- Familiarity with component manufacturers for key part families (eg processors; memories; power management; mixed-signal ICs; wireless ICs and modules; passives; connectors).
- Experience of software development for embedded processors (C/C++) including device driver development and familiarity with commonly used software tool chains, debug tools and version control systems.
- A track record in Electronic Product Design across a range of commercial market sectors including direct involvement with the full product development lifecycle from prototype development to production release and ongoing design maintenance and support.
- Experience of FPGA/CPLD logic design (VHDL or Verilog), synthesis, place and route, power and timing analysis.
- Use of one or more Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools for schematic capture (ideally Altium Designer and/or Mentor Graphics DxDesigner).
- Knowledge of PCB manufacturing and PCB assembly processes.
General Skills & Experience
- Must produce accurate work with a natural propensity to conduct detailed reviews, identify errors and carry out effective corrections.
- Must be an effective communicator (verbal and written) and demonstrate a high degree of literacy.
- Able to demonstrate competence in using the Microsoft Office suite of tools, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Salary and Benefits
- A current UK driving licence and willingness to use own vehicle for occasional customer or supplier visits and attendance at seminars, conferences and courses etc. Expenses would be reimbursed (in accordance with HMRC regulations) for approved business use.
Restrictions / Screening
- 25 days plus public holidays
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Taylor Dowding Innovation
Nature of Business:
Unit 3, Field Farm
Electronics Design Engineer
Mike Stirling - Technical Director
To apply for this role, please call on 01244 911390 or contact by email at firstname.lastname@example.org