Job Description - The Role
This permanent position of Embedded Design Engineer has arisen as part of a planned expansion of the business to support increasing demand for the company’s professional services from a continually broadening customer base.
Primarily this position is responsible for designing embedded firmware/software for electronic products used in diverse applications and various market sectors. The role involves some customer and supplier contact and an ability to communicate effectively is important.
This position is ideal for someone who is keen to develop their technical skills further; take on some of the day-to-day role of managing their own time and the often demanding workload; and play a part in the continued development and expansion of the company.
The ideal candidate will have a sound understanding of both embedded software and electronic hardware principles backed up by good experience; show flair and independent thinking; and the ability to contribute immediate value to the company and its development.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Design and implement reliable and efficient embedded software/firmware solutions that meet specified requirements for both external client and internal R&D projects.
- Design and implement high-quality embedded software device drivers and test routines to support efficient and effective commissioning and debugging of new hardware platforms.
- Apply appropriate software design strategies to achieve compliance with relevant regulatory certifications, including intrinsic safety approvals or safety-critical applications.
- Contribute to and support the design and implementation of reliable, efficient and cost-effective electronic (analogue and digital) hardware solutions for external client or internal support projects.
- A good degree or HND in Electronics or closely-related discipline from a well-regarded educational institution.
Technical Skills & Experience
- A proven track record - upwards of three years - in embedded software development for electronic products across a broad range of commercial market sectors including direct involvement with the full product development lifecycle from prototype development to production release and ongoing design maintenance and support.
- Experience of software development for 8-bit to 32-bit embedded processors (C/C++) including device driver development, HAL development and familiarity with commonly used software tool chains and debug tools.
- Familiarity of developing solutions using embedded RTOS.
- Experience of software development for use with a broad range of electronic technologies, including high-speed digital circuitry and low-power analogue circuitry, to be applied in end products for both consumer and industrial markets.
- Experience of developing user space and kernel software for embedded Linux.
- Experience of devising high-performance, cost-effective software architectures, including well-developed strategies for creating optimised hardware/software design partitioning.
- Extensive use of software tools for embedded software development, including version control, continuous integration and issue tracking systems.
- Experience of commissioning and debugging hardware and software on newly-developed embedded platforms, with a demonstrable record of analytical fault identification and rectification, and familiarity with electronic test equipment, including oscilloscopes and logic analysers.
- Experience with ARM Cortex architectures, especially M series.
- Experience of software design and standards/protocols for wireless, communications and multimedia applications.
- Practical experience of other commonly applied software languages, e.g. Java and Python.
- Some experience of developing desktop and mobile applications.
- Experience of agile software development methodologies.
- Familiarity with component manufacturers for key part families (e.g. processors; memories; power management; mixed-signal ICs; wireless ICs and modules; passives; connectors).
General Skills & Experience
- Must produce accurate work with a natural propensity to conduct detailed reviews, identify errors and carry out effective corrections.
- Must be an effective communicator (verbal and written) and demonstrate a high degree of literacy.
- Able to demonstrate competence in using the Microsoft Office suite of tools, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; ability to work with MySQL or an understanding of database structures would be an advantage.
Salary and Benefits
- A current UK driving licence and willingness to use own vehicle for occasional customer or supplier visits and attendance at seminars, conferences and courses etc. Expenses would be reimbursed (in accordance with HMRC regulations) for approved business use.
Restrictions / Screening
- 25 days plus public holidays
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Taylor Dowding Innovation
Nature of Business:
Unit 3, Field Farm
Embedded Design Engineer
Mike Stirling - Technical Director
To apply for this role, please call on 01244 911390 or contact by email at email@example.com